Custom Search

Horizontal

Our Links

Just cannot keep Sehwag down

On: Monday, December 15, 2008

Virender Sehwag is all smiles after inspiring India to an incredible win.
Mixed emotions: Even as Kevin Pietersen looks dejected.

NEW DELHI: He bats not to save, but to win matches. He makes stroke-play such a joyful vocation, with all the finesse that comes most effortlessly.

Purists were the first to question his elevation to the Test team. They argued he had little footwork, no patience and too many shots in his armoury.

But Virender Sehwag chose to make his presence felt with some astounding batting and changed the principles of opening the innings, leaving the pioneer of aggression at the top, Sanath Jayasuriya, far behind.

Not changed much

He insists he has not changed much from the time he took guard for the first time in a Test match. “I play the same cricket that I did 10 years ago. Today, I am batting the same way I was when I lost my Test place,” he said at the end of an innings that he confessed would always remain close to his heart.

Sehwag must excel when stroking making is an invitation to trouble. As indeed it was at the Chepauk when he carted the English attack in his customary style.

“I just played my natural game. I played six or seven cut shots, my favourite, because the ball was coming on nicely,” remembers Sehwag. The ‘cut’ has been his Achilles Heel.

That he set the tone for a wonderful victory is now documented for posterity.

As is his sensational innings, a fourth day classic on a difficult pitch. The ball did jump and turn but failed to deter Sehwag’s intentions. He was aggressive all through the innings and was obviously batting to a plan.

The new ball had to be hit and that is precisely what Sehwag did. He has never believed in this theory that an opener’s primary job is to wear off the shine of the ball.

He lets his bat to that job and it is a delight to watch the ball fly at an alarming pace off his willow. He makes the best of fielders and the meanest of bowlers look helpless.

He insists he has become patient. The opposition would disagree vehemently though. “I have become patient and am careful about my shot selection,” he says humbly; this from a man who knocks 83 off 68 balls with four sixes and 11 fours in a Test innings on the fourth evening of the match.

Range

Sehwag’s range of shots is no longer restricted to off side. He now explores the leg side with amazing disdain for the line and length of the ball.

The ‘corridor ball’ does not exist for this adventurous batsman; neither does the ‘perfume ball’ curtail his exuberance at the crease.

“I fear none,” he emphasizes. His Test average of 51.85 confirms his claims.

In this hour of glory, Sehwag pays glowing tribute to coach Gary Kirsten. “He is one of the best I have seen. He has supported me hugely and helped me raise my self-belief.

He helped me change my mindset. He told me he can’t teach me how to bat but can assure me my place in the side. He gave me space to shine and made sure that I did not feel insecure. Thanks Gary,” acknowledges Sehwag.

0 comments on "Just cannot keep Sehwag down"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...