Custom Search

Horizontal

Our Links

Harbhajan Singh with uncharacteristic bashfulness, as he celebrates the award

On: Tuesday, January 27, 2009


Cricketer Harbhajan Singh is hardly bashful on the field, but after it was announced recently that he’s bagged the Padma Shri, Bhajji was asked when he might be getting a shrimati as well. And, at that, the cricketer blushed. “Ab wahi ek achievement reh gaya hai. I know the time has come for me to settle down and very soon, I’ll get this responsibility as well,” he says.

Till then, Bhajji’s quite ecstatic about the award. “I’m super thrilled. It is a matter of great honour for my family that the government has chosen me for this award, given that it is one of the foremost awards in the country.” Although the last year was kind of a mixed bag for Bhajji, he says that the award has come at the right time. “This award has been given to me taking into account my contribution to the game over all these years. This has put me in the elite club of all my seniors who got this before me, like Rahul bhai (Dravid), Sachin bhai (Tendulkar) and Anil bhai (Kumble).”

Does he think that it’s come too late in his career, though? He disagrees. “I think it’s never too late. I am satisfied that I was considered worthy of the recognition.” So, is it party time at his home? He laughs, “Not really. We’re a simple family. I’m away for so much of the year, and it is their sacrifices that have allowed me to achieve so much. I will have a quiet dinner with them to celebrate.”

0 comments on "Harbhajan Singh with uncharacteristic bashfulness, as he celebrates the award"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...