Custom Search

Horizontal

Our Links

Sourav is the God of off-side

On: Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shatrunjay Gaekwad

He may have been known so far as the son of former Indian opener and coach Anshuman Gaekwad. But now after landing a one-year contract with the Kolkata Knight
Riders (KKR), Shatrunjay Gaekwad is opening a new innings for himself.

In town for the trials for the KKR team, the Baroda batsman is all smiles after getting the contract papers. “It will be an opportunity to share the dressing room with some great players,” he says. Ask Shatrunjay whether the trials were very tough and pat comes the reply, “Not at all. I didn’t have to outplay myself. I’m an attacking batsman who just needed some improvisation. I am keen on playing the T20 format as there are not many opportunities at the domestic level.”

Shatrunjay is also happy to be part of the KKR team for another reason —- his adulation for Sourav Ganguly. There was a time when he carried Dada’s picture in his ‘coffin’. Breaking into a smile, he says, “Yes, I used to. But we no longer use coffins. These days it is the kit bag. I’m a great fan of Sourav. I have interacted with him since the time my father was the coach of the Indian team. And I have got many valuable tips from him.” The fact that both of them are left handed batsmen has probably drawn them closer. Shatrunjay reveals, “I am an off-side player and Sourav is the God of off-side. I idolize him.”

But the association with Dada just doesn’t end there. The 25-year-old, who is also an avid music lover, has another secret to share with us. “Every year I get some gifts from Sourav and I treasure all the gloves, shoes and bats that he has presented me with. I shall never share the gloves with anyone,” says Shatrunjay.

The batsman is also eyeing the KKR team as a springboard to get into Team India. And he is optimistic. “It is a dream to wear the Indian blues,” he says. But isn’t age a factor, considering he is already 25? “Why should it be? My state mate Yusuf Pathan is the biggest example. With just one good T20 season, he was catapulted into the Indian team. So anything can happen,” Shatrunjay sounds ever optimistic.

Talking of his famous surname, he says, “I’m only under pressure when I am with my father. But on the field, there is no pressure. In fact, I draw inspiration from it.” Picking from many of his father’s innings, the innings of 80 odd runs against West Indies is his best. “The innings against the West Indian pace battery surely gives me goosebumps. With broken ribs and bruised ear he braved the onslaught. Even Sunil uncle (Gavaskar) kept shouting that Indians have got kids back home,” shares Shatrunjay. For someone who enjoys music, he is currently on a song.

0 comments on "Sourav is the God of off-side"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...